21 October 2007

Head Lice - 'Tis the Season?

Anyone who has been through an episode of head lice infestation can certainly relate to my dismay at discovering a louse in our house (or Justin's hair).

The day the school sent out a parent newsletter with a paragraph titled "head lice occurrence" was when we made our creepy discovery. To make matters worse, Justin was scheduled for a class field trip the next morning. We tried to let Justin know that he wouldn't be able to go on the class trip (tears) and decided to make a trip to the pharmacy for a treatment potion the following morning.

The school director told Doug that we could certainly get Justin on the bus at 9:00 if we just got some special shampoo right away. Justin and I hurried to the Lekaren (pharmacy) about two blocks away. I asked the nice lady if she spoke English - nie was her reply. I would never call my communication at a time like this sign language. That is so much more sophisticated. This is more like charades and just as silly except for the urgency of the situation. I point to my head, pretend I'm shampooing and then point to Justin's head. She smiles, nods her head, and returns with a box labeled Parasidose anti-poux Shampooing that has a picture of a couple of little crawly things in a target circle. I paid my 137.40 SKK (about $5), smiled and said Da kjueme and we hurried home. My next task, get the hair shampooed, use the blow dryer and walk Justin to the bus for his trip to the Bratislava Zoo. I had two choices of language for the instructions: Slovak and French. I know neither. I looked real closely at the French instructions, after finding my reading glasses, and saw Mode' D'Emploi--appliquer 3 minutes, rincer, and that phrase was repeated. Looks like, wet hair, shampoo, wait three minutes, rinse, do it again...... How hard was that? The deed was done, we made it to school by 9:00 a.m.

Later I was talking with the school administration and heard that head lice is a huge problem in all of Central Europe. She also said the shampoo doesn't work, as the lice have developed resistance to the chemical. So much for having the deed done. I continued to wash sheets, towels, clothes and bedding (remember my tiny washer and no dryer), all the while wondering if we were going to be rid of them.

NO! They were still present the next day. Start the process again....... This time I called upon my very linguistically gifted Slovak friend to help me at the Lekaren. By mobile (cell) phone, she talked to the pharmacy clerk and explained the situation and was there any other product that would kill the lice. I watched her walk away and return with a box in her hand -there were some really happy children on the box with all their heads touching. Looked good to me. It was called Paranit and came with a lice comb (isn't that special). The price?-- 639.50 SKK ($30). Five times more than the last loser cheapo shampoo. My friend continued to review the instructions on the new product with the clerk while I forked over the cash. The language choices on the instructions were not too much better than the last product: Slovak or Czech.

I guess I am now an expert because I think (hope?) I've beaten these things. I've used shampoo on wet hair, this licorice-smelling stuff on dry hair and the special comb on Justin's head while he watches a movie and I painstakingly comb his scalp to remove anything that thinks it will come to life in a few days. We will repeat the process in about 5 days. I'm open to any stories or suggestions from my blog friends......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, lice are indeed a problem in schools this time of year all over the world. I remember hearing all kinds of anecdotal rememdies--peanut butter, paint thinner, almost anything thick and coating to the hairshaft people have apparently tried. I know nothing first-hand of their rate of success. your wash-coat-comb formula seems to be typical of the OTC rememdies that work here. best wishes with irradicating the little pests! Ginger

Pickel said...

Carolyn, Found this for you- Marcie
INGREDIENTS: 1 bottle of Listerine mouthwash
White vinegar
INSTRUCTIONS: My dughter has very long thick hair and we had suffered head lice for six months, buyingall the chemist remedies,with no effect. My mother bought a book containing household remedies and it said: saturate the hair with listerine mouthwash and cover with a shower cap. Leave for 2 hours then shampoo in the normal way. We did this and it killed all the lice immediately. The saturate the hair with white vinegar and comb with a nit comb and the vinegar destroys the glue that the head lice fix the nits to the hair with. Just comb them out. Believe me - it works!!

Anonymous said...

carolyn-
we have so walked this road --
the trick is the little metal toothed comb, every square inch of hair needs to be combed and every little lose removed -- I do think lice are a rite of passage for every mom and child.

and the adventures continue!

love to all the harts-
janet

david_dvdson said...

hey pickel, thank you so much for the home remedy for head lice. i just tried and it really worked. the listerine really kills the head lice right then and there

Lisa said...

@pickel: i've tried your home remedy and it really worked! all of my daughters head lice was gone! thank you very much! "]