25 March 2009

Renamed my blog - (we just aren't living very LARGE)

Life this past six months has been a lot about learning to live on less. We had shrunk our spending while living overseas, BUT it is much more challenging here in the USA.

Haircuts: my first haircut here was $30. I was told that was a reasonable rate for this area. I decided I could get one haircut every six months. Last week A GREAT FIND - a local beauty school! Today I got my first $5 haircut. I had a lovely conversation with my stylist and even got a coupon for 1/2 price next time. Am I a risk taker or what?

Kids need socks: Anya has sworn off ruffled socks - Justin's socks have worn out. I got a $10 COUPON from BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY in the mail. They are having a Grand Reopening. Anya will have a new 5-pack in her Easter Basket. Justin will have a new 3-pack. Total cost $1.03.

Prescription: Needed a prescription--CVS was offering a $25 giftcard for any new or transferred Rx. I will spend part of that on Easter candy!

Thrift Store: Got a $5 off any purchase coupon in the Val-Pak envelope. Got one from my neighbor's mail, too! Got myself a new pair of black denim jeans (Lands End, size 12P). Bought something else to sell on ebay.

5 comments:

Blessed Momma said...

I somehow stumbled across your blog looking up info on a local school in L-ville. Family is new to the city, we just arrived end of Oct. and are still learning our way around. (I too have a K and 3rd grader. They're at Dunn)
HAVE to ask, how was the $5 haircut and where did you go? (you brave woman, you!)
Peace.

Carolyn said...

Hi Mrs. Arrow! My kids go to Bloom. I saw something on your blog about shakespeare. is your family a fan of shakespeare? there is a shakespeare academy for kids this summer. I got my haircut at a beauty school on Bardstown Road near Highland Ave. called Empire Beauty Schools. I will go back. It's most helpful if you can describe the cut you want.

Blessed Momma said...

Hey Carolyn,
Mr. Arrow is the "really big cheese" for our fair city's Shakespeare Festival. My kids will be doin' the Bard this summer. Will your children be there?
Thanks for the info. on the beauty school. I'll work up the courage to try it! Already downloaded a picture of the hairstyle. Hope you are surviving the heat - I REFUSE to turn on the AC this early.
Peace.

Blessed Momma said...

Hey Carolyn,
Mr. Arrow is the "really big cheese" for our fair city's Shakespeare Festival (drats, his true identity is revealed). That's why we moved here from NYC. So, my girls will be doin' the bard this summer. I hope your children be there!
Thanks for the haircut info. I've already printed the hairstyle and will give them a try. (need courage)
I hope you are surviving the heat. I REFUSE to turn on the AC this early.
I'm eager to meet folks here, if you ever want to grab a cup of tea/coffee, send up a flare.
Peace.

Carolyn said...

Hi again - here's our email dhartfam@gmail.com. Let's talk over email if you like. We are putting in our application for a scholarship to Shakespeare Youth Academy for our son - deadline May 1. We got a dog in December - named him Shakespeare. His favorite chew toy? Pencils and any writing instrument......