17 October 2007

Grocery shopping as I know it.....


The new TESCO supermarket superstore opened up on October 13. Our family made the one-block trek to check it out 20-minutes after the scheduled opening. Wow! Such a big, beautiful store and so close to home. It was truly a new day for me in the grocery arena of my life in Bratislava. The kids got balloons and I got a keychain with two (2) tokens for the grocery cart locks - see what I mean?
Among our purchases was a hair dryer for me. I should have bought one long ago while we lived in Ramallah, but never got around to it. Now, being in a colder climate, it seemed like the right time. We bought fresh pastries and yogurt and cold milk from the dairy case instead of the long-life box.

I also picked up the Tesco flyer which highlights the specials for the next week. Sitting at the kitchen table with my English-Slovensko dictionary and the flyer, I began to empower myself by translating the words. Ahhhh, what a feeling! I translated sour cream, orange juice and gave myself notes on a few items to remember next time.
My exhilaration didn't last too long the next week, for I still had to carry everything home. I realized I had bought way too much heavy stuff. I have to learn to space out the bottled water, Diet Coke, cooking oil and milk. But really, it is great to have a much wider selection close by. I even found some yellow cheddar cheese, labeled "English Cheddar". All the cheeses are white and have names I don't recognize.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have a Tesco here but I haven't been there yet. Now I will have to go because I've been unable to find sour cream in the stores where I've shopped.

And I know exactly what you mean regarding spacing out the heavier items!

Linda