14 January 2008

Our Elevator or 122 stairs

Our elevator or up and down 122 stairs. Two options that we face each day, at least twice a day. If we lose one of those options, (the elevator), it leaves the 122 steps. Since we moved in last August, we have climbed the stairs at least 7 or 8 times because the elevator was out of order. It is grueling to walk up all those stairs, made even more difficult if I have a load of groceries. Doug has been stuck in it once, but kept pushing buttons and got it to go down one floor so he could get out. It was humorous because that was when his dad was visiting and there was another little lady stuck with them. She started banging on the door as loudly as she could. When I looked out our door to find out what was going on, all I could see was their heads.......

So, I could complain a lot - not to the management or anyone who can help because of the language barrier, but I decided I am happy we have one at all. Many buildings don't even have a "lift", as it is called in Europe. As to the condition and size of the lift? Well, it's tiny--really tiny. Our family of four can fit in it, but if we have our stroller it is really tight. I think it was made in Poland during Communism. And it doesn't even have automatic doors. There is one tremendously heavy door that you pull open like any regular door. You step on the elevator. Once the heavy door closes behind you (not automatically), you push the button and begin the ride. There is no other door, but you can watch the other marked doors go by, as each little window appears in the door for the next level. It's hard to explain, so I'll attach a photo.


Last week we were coming home after dark and the elevator ride upstairs was completely in the dark, as the light had burned out inside. That was exciting! Speaking of lights, there are light switches on each floor to help light the hallway. But their timers are so badly set, that I can never get the key in both of the two locks without having to stop and give myself another dose of light. (Talk about pressure)! If we are walking up, we put Justin in charge of lights, so none of us trip when the light decides to turn off. He's great help in this area.


I am happy for the elevator, truly. But when I look at it I am surprised I will use it at all. I guess that is how badly we as humans want to avoid work and exercise. Here's the little beast....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, we have the same kind of stairway lights in Israel and I've endured the same "race" against the light, myself. It was fun to read the experience put into words. :-) Celeste

Anonymous said...

LOL that totally reminds me of the elevators we took when we visited Dimitries flat. We crammed all of our luggage, myself, paul and Dimitry in there. Dimitry says, in Russia we want to really get to know our neighbors. ha haha hahaha.

God bless
Barb

Jean Culver said...

Elevators and Stairs are a pleasure to watch on travel series on TV. I, personally, would love the ability I had before being involved in a truck accident. I usually shun elevators, just because I love to exercise. Now Elevators are a God-send, and I am thankful for the Blessing!