12 February 2008

What the Slovaks do well....

Other parts of the world could learn a few things from the Slovak culture....... some of the my observations include:
Mass-transit: run frequently, on-time, all over the city. You can get almost anywhere you need by bus, trolley-bus or tram line. The fare system is easy - buy one ticket for the length of your trip, validate it on the bus, trolley bus or tram. It's good for your ride on all three modes of transport! The best part is that you can figure out the times and your transfers by looking on their website. After you know a few of the destination stops around the city, you can request a time and a route will pop up for you. Print it out and you're on your way. The website is http://www.imhd.sk/ and for English you press the British flag at the top. (Just in case anyone wants to pretend to be me).

Recycling: in my "how to look like a local" file, I noticed most folks had a reusable grocery bag that they were carrying around. I know most homes in the US have a place that is overflowing with plastic bags from every store and every purchase made in the last year. Many stores here charge you for bags, so if you bring your own, you can save some cash. Plus, the heavier plastic bags are more comfortable to carry if you have to walk further than just your car. Now I carry my own reusable bag so not only do I look like a local, I'm being green........

I will hold on posting my opinions of bothersome Slovak cultural norms. My cultural bias is unavoidable and it doesn't seem fair to report on societal ills (exceptions may occur). Someday I'll enjoy having a cup of coffee with those who are interested and I can report on some of the cultural oddities through my eyes.

1 comment:

Robin Owens said...

I look forward to that cup of coffee!