19 April 2008

Baby steps, baby steps.

A favorite movie of mine, "What About Bob", makes me think of making progress by taking baby steps.....

In my struggle for making connection with some of the local people I see often (neighbors, store clerks) I think some progress has been made! I'm getting smiles from a few of the Tesco clerks! Several recognize me, because they don't tell me my grocery total anymore, they just point to the little screen. This is big. My unique identity is being affirmed!

A few people in the building are becoming friendly. There is a sweet lady with a little dog who we like. She smiles and is so sweet to the kids. We pet her dog and smile back. She talks to us, but I haven't any idea of what she is saying. I try to use my Slovak words, but I don't have too many descriptive phrases under my belt yet.

Lots of moms have seen me out on the playgrond, so I'm trying to make eye contact and greet them. One mother of twin baby boys made eye contact, so I was able to say "dobre den" (hello) as I passed her on the way to the bus and she responded.

These small things I have always taken for granted with people, BUT, to even make these simple connections with anyone here is progress. This is a very reserved culture. I know we can't converse, but my goal is to have some pleasant contact. If I can't help this process along, this is a most lonely culture to live in.

No comments: