22 April 2008

A few more facts

Some things that I think are interesting here:

You can buy lottery tickets at the Post office.

Traffic lights are sequenced differently than anywhere I've been:
RED
YELLOW
GREEN
this looks the same, but the order is different. You get your yellow AFTER the red. It's like on your mark (red), get set (yellow), GO (green).

Pedestrians do not have the right of way - WATCH OUT - even in the crosswalks you must take care. Some folks will stop, others will not, some even seem to accelerate.

Slovakia is slated to change their currency to the Euro(€) in 2009. Until then the national currency is the Korun(crown).

Over one-half million cars were produced in Slovakia in 2007. There are three major manufacturing plants for automobiles: Citroen, Volkswagen, and Kia. We see many railcars carrying new autos.

Our garbage/trash dumpsters are in a locked cage. I understand this from the perspective of non-residents looking for a place to unload their trash, BUT you can actually get locked in. That's enough for a good nightmare for me: I walk to the cage, unlock the door, I drop in my trash and, oops, I drop my keys in also by accident. The cage door closes and locks behind me and I'm stuck inside with FIVE dumpsters. No way out except to retrieve my keys by getting inside the dumpster or go mad while I wait for help. Here's a photo of "the Cage".......

No comments: