16 April 2008

Estonian Girls' Choir

A free concert is always welcome to our family, but a world-class free concert? Better yet. A world-class free concert in a historic stone church? Perfect. Such as it was here in Bratislava last night. We made the trek to the old town Bratislava to hear a choir traveling from Estonia. The tour will take them through Slovakia, Austria and Switzerland for the next two weeks.The occasion is the 90th Anniversary of the Republic of Estonia. They girls' were amazing. It was a feast for the ears to hear the beautiful voices of young women--no accompaniment--with the awesome acoustics of a domed cathedral.

The girls were dressed in ecru full-length gowns with ecru shawls draped across their shoulders. An appropriate dress for the mostly golden-haired fair-skinned young women. I couldn't help but think of angels once they began to sing. The first song was my favorite. The girls stood spaced throughout the cathedral and then sang the most beautiful song. "Awake, My Heart" is an Estonian folk hymn with a special arrangement for the Girls' Choir. It could not have been more heavenly. To have voices all around - TRUE stereo/surround sound - another "pinch me" moment.

Our little family lasted through the first half, it was a school night and the concert didn't start until 7:00 (19:00), but we were able to bring home with us a CD recording.

I have no photos - my camera is broken and I'm awaiting a borrowed camera's arrival. Hopefully my descriptions have given you a mental picture this time.

No comments: