13 September 2007

Pinch me!

I have to say pinch me to believe this is happening! It's better than a dream, especially my dreams lately. Justin is having his first choir practice for the Bratislava Boys Choir. Besides a moving Broadway play or Opera, a Boys Choir has the power to make me weep during a performance. And now my own son, just seven years old, will be a part of just such a choir.

Last Friday, Doug called the number for the Bratislava Boys Choir to inquire about their audition/enrollment process. To our surprise, they asked to have him come to audition the very next Monday. I knew he could pass the audition, if given the chance. These are just things a mother knows. He was given a private audition with the conductor and an associate and was accepted into the choir at that time! This afternoon after school Justin and I took the bus downtown right after school and headed to the beautiful Slovakia Symphony Hall where he will have rehearsals twice a week. I decided to have a Latte at the McDonalds across the plaza and wait out the rehearsal. He will be on a one month probation - Doug and I think this is to assure his cooperation and that he won't be a behavior problem. It gives the leaders an out if they need one.......

Justin bravely stepped into the rehearsal room, where about 8 boys were waiting and were obviously familiar with each other. They probably speak little English and his teacher and I had a hard time communicating about the few details I needed (like where to pick him up, etc). I walked away marveling at how a child of mine could be so brave. He must have gotten that from his father.

I drank my Latte and wondered what Justin's reaction would be after his rehearsal......... At 4:30 he came bouncing out of the room and told me they sang "Little David, Play on your Harp", a song he is well familiar with. I thanked God for that. Justin also made a friend, a boy who speaks English. J and I had a celebratory Happy Meal at Mcdonalds and then walked to the bus stop, where we boarded the #202 and journeyed home to the Dudvazska stop to share the news with Dad and Anya.

We have reminded ourselves and our children about how God gives good gifts to His children and we are so grateful!

If you would like to check out the Bratislava Boys Choir website, here's the link. If you click on "cd" you can hear a sample!
http://www.bchz.sk/index_eng.php

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whohoo for justin!!! :) that's awesome! he's one talented kid...