24 September 2007

Post-birthday funk

I've just had a birthday and have been in a post-birthday funk. Yesterday, after waking up and realizing that I nap while my 4-year-old plays on the bed next to me, I had a terrific brainstorm. Maybe being 47 doesn't mean my brain has ceased coming up with a creative idea. I have been tutoring the kids at school and am bored by the curriculum that I've been given. Our own books arrived last week and I found two great books that I thought I'd read to the little ones. One thought led to another and I decided I would be a book distributor for this British company. I could sell to school parents and hold book fairs at the English speaking schools in Bratislava. I LOVE books, and particularly these. The English book selection at the book stores is slim and this would have a sure market. Maybe we could even make some decent money. Currently, I am collecting Slovak beer coasters in hopes of making a few dollars by selling them on ebay.

I found the website for the publisher, shot off an email to the UK with a request and waited. A few hours later I checked my email-- their response was waiting for me: "sorry, we don't ship to Bratislava". Just like that. My idea was a non-starter. No explanation, just an apology. I wish she had understood how important this was to me. I doubt if I made a plea to the Slovakian government officials that I could change this. Now isn't that just unfair?

I have scheduled this Thursday as a non-working, no kids day for me. This means I will take the bus to the Avion Shopping Park and Ikea. I imagine a latte at the mall and soup and salad at Ikea for lunch, a leisurely walk through Ikea, stopping to see what is on a super sale and buying a few items for the house - no more than I can comfortably carry home on the bus, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, nothing like making you feel like you really live a long way from home. :) would there be other english or american publishing companies that ship to bratislava?